- Daughter of immigrants from Nigeria and South Africa, Wanika learned the value of supporting one another and community service from an early age.
- As a state representative, Wanika fought hard to ensure that all immigrants were included in Maryland’s COVID relief package through the earned income tax credit.
- Wanika sponsored and advocated in support of the Maryland TRUST Act, a state bill aimed to increase safety by ensuring that the state of Maryland does not support nor fund federal immigration enforcement to separate community members.
- Wanika is a champion fighting for access to housing, health care, education, reproductive rights, climate justice, criminal legal reform and police accountability.
- Wanika’s district is one of the most diverse in the country and she is committed to fight each and every member of the community.